It’s been a while since I’ve blogged and I’m annoyed at myself for that… I must try and update this more! I stated this blog at the start of the year and never got around to finishing it….. bad bad bad Hope! Anywyay… here we go!
I love to travel and this year I’ve been travelling a lot! I haven’t checked luggage on a flight for a number of years so my packing skills have improved and I only tend to take things that I love and need. No more packing 6 pairs of shoes for a 4 day trip!
As you will know, when checking in hand luggage your liquid products must be under 100ml. This can be a bit of a pain and becomes a game of makeup Tetras. I was using a ziplock bag for ages which after a while started to get really gross, so I upgraded to this baby from Hema for £3.
It fits a lot of products in and I think looks a lot nicer than my old horrible ziplock bag.
So what products have I been using when I travel?
Well firstly, I have this amazing bag by RockOnRuby from my friend Meg got me for my birthday last year. It’s quite small so it makes me really think about what I want to take with me and saves space in my handbag/suitcase.
Key Things to Pack:
- Moisturiser – Planes and travel in general can really dry your skin out. My skin is already dry so I really try to take care of my skin. Drink lots and lots of water on your plane and the following few days to keep your skin (and yourself) feeling and looking good. A good moisturiser is also really important. I love the Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre Nourishing Moisturiser (30ml so perfect for the little see through bag). This is actually the only thing I purchased in full size from my Birchbox. I also love the Clarins Santal Oil which is a rebalancing oil for dry skin. But I will happily take any sample size moisturiser away with me.
- Makeup Remover – Instead of taking a full bottle of my Nivea makeup remover, I cut up some cotton pads and soak them in the remover so I don’t have to carry around the bottle. I place them in a small container with a lid that can shut tight so they don’t dry out and I managed to pack enough for 2 weeks with some to spare. This definitely saved me some space.
- Foundation – This really depends on where I am travelling to. In an attempt to minimise my liquids as I only take hand luggage, a mineral foundation is always a good option. I like the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation if I’m going somewhere warm and want to not be a shiny mess. Another great way to get around the ml issue is to travel with a BB cushion. I bought the Laneige BB Cushion whilst I was in Japan and it’s a fuss free and light coverage cream for when you don’t want anything too heavy. It doesn’t have to go in the see through bag because the liquid is in a sponge #Winning. I will do a more in-depth review of the Laneige cushion at some point if people are interested. If I know I’m going out or will be taking lots of pictures, I use my trusty Makeup Forever HD Foundation. After writing this, I realise I really do have quite a lot of foundations…. I have a problem! If you like BB creams, go to a website called Cosmetic-Love.com where you can buy mini sample sachets to try. These are perfect for travel because they are so small and you can more than one use out of them! (I’m not affiliated with the site, I just really love it)
- Concealer – A lot of travel leads to sleep deprivation, so I need something to cover my big blue eye bags. At the moment, I’ve been LOVING the Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer. It’s more coverage and brightening and when I’m travelling that’s exactly what I want. I picked this up in Vegas when I was looking a little worse for wear and eye bags are never a cute look.
- Liquid Liner – my fave is the Kat Von D Tattoo liner. I usually don’t wanna take big eye shadow palettes when I travel because they take up so much space and then you need brushes too, so a good liquid liner is the best way to go when I want to make more of an effort with my appearance.
- Mascara – Maybelline the Falsies (waterproof), enough said. Hands down my favourite mascara.
- Lipstick – I tend to take a good ‘my lips but better’ pink, a deep berry colour, a red and a lip balm, just to cover all bases. I have so many lipsticks so I just pick up whatever I am using at the time. I do love Revlon and Maybelline lip stains and lipsticks, they are really affordable and don’t tend to dry my lips out.
- Blush/Highlight/Contour compact – The Sleek trios are awesome; blush, highlight and contour powders in once ‘sleek’ case. PERFECT!
- Mask – My final tip is to take some sheet masks with you. I will happily put one of these on during a flights as a mini spa treatment for myself and they really do make a difference. You get a few stares but I’ve also had flight attendants ask me where I get them from and what they are for. On my last flight I actually saw another lady doing the same thing, yay! Sheet masks originated in Korea and are becoming more popular in the West too. I love the Etude House sheet masks with collagen. Sephora also sell some really great masks that aren’t too expensive too.
If you are interested in Korean sheet masks, this is a great video to learn more about the huge variety of brands on offer.
This completes my makeup bag for travel. I try and be minimal with it which is easier said than done. I hope that was helpful for you and if you are off on holiday, have an amazing time! If you have any tips, share them in the comments below.